MAINTAINING CAS CERTIFICATION
Annual CAS Recertification/Renewal
The American Academy requires an annual recertification/renewal of the CAS certification. Changes in the field of addictions require Academy members to be committed to lifelong learning by maintaining an awareness of research findings, advancements in treatment techniques and therapeutic approaches. The Academy's minimum 20-hour continuing education annual requirement is designed to foster professional development and to ensure the Academy members are well-informed about contemporary addictions research and treatment information. A Code of Ethics must be signed annually. Recertification is not automatic.
- All continuing education hours must be addiction-related coursework.
- The Academy will not accept coursework that has been completed more than one year prior to the annual renewal date.
- The coursework generally must be approved by a state or national accrediting body. The Academy provides a partial list of accepted accrediting organizations on the bottom of its Continuing Education Documentation form. If the coursework has not been approved by a state or national accrediting body, the Academy may be contacted and approval requested.
- Coursework must be documented by a certificate of attendance on the agency's letterhead listing the attendee, the approved CEU hours, the dates of attendance, the approval body and signature of the presenter.
- The Academy will accept teaching hours provided that the instruction took place at a college level. Teaching hours apply to one presentation only and they are calculated at 50% of their credit hour value.
- Clinical supervision hours and/or hours associated with employment responsibilities are not approved.
- Continuing education hours may only carry forward for one year.
- The Academy reserves the right to disallow CEU's if they do not meet requirements as set forth.
- Extensions must be requested prior to the renewal date.
- The Academy Code of Ethics form must be signed and submitted with each annual renewal.
- Late fees apply to all of the above if not completed by the renewal date.
Continuing education hours submitted for annual recertification/renewal must be documented with approved certificates of attendance, to include the name of the certificant, the name of the program/class, date, sponsor, approval agency, location of the training, number of approved CEU hours. Continuing education hours submitted are subject to the review and approval of the American Academy.
The American Academy requires a minimum of 20 CEU hours annually; however, if additional hours are submitted, they will be carried forward for one year only and credited towards the next renewal.
The American Academy approved online distance learning courses may be accepted towards recertification/renewal CEU hours. ( www.americanacademy.org/resources )
A certificant's recertification/renewal submission that meets the requirements will be renewed for one year and the certificant will receive written notification of renewal and an updated membership card.
If the recertification/renewal is incomplete, the member will be notified and incomplete areas noted.
Late fees apply to recertification/renewals that are not completed by the renewal date.